Yeading Walk is a 7.5 acre, 500 yard long green corridor which was created out of two acres of land given by the owners of Downs Farming in 1937. This scheme for a streamside walk links Rayners Lane in the west with Northumberland Road in the east. To the north and south, Lincoln Road and Suffolk Road are connected. At the centre of the site is the Yeading Brook which flows through a corridor of parkland lined with mature trees and ornamental shrubs. The whole area is part of a ‘Site of Importance for Nature Conservation’ (SINC) because of the variety of plants and animals it supports.
“All parks, recreation grounds and sports areas used to be monitored by their Keepers – who acted very much like police officers in their duties. The Yeading Walk Gardens or Streamside Walk, and Pinner Park, as all the other parks in the Borough, had carefully designed flowerbeds arranged in floral decoration – to give a fantastic riot of colour all summer season. Their beauty replicated those gardens at the seaside and London parks. The grass was beautifully manicured and the edges trimmed. No cycling or roller-skating – no walking on the grass or running about was permitted. The garden’s facilities were built for recreational walking and good maintenance, considered important to the town’s standing“.
Terence Keary, ‘A Changing World’
How times have changed!
Now we lie on the grass to read books and picnic, dogs and owners stop to greet each other, the footballers enjoy a casual Saturday afternoon kick around on the sports field and young bike riders wobble along the path. The park is a place for everyone to relax and enjoy.